Take a Learning Journey through Guatemala
Spend a week enjoying the richness of Guatemalan culture, history and landscape.
Share experiences with Maya Indians in cultural exchange, and give of yourself to support our children’s literacy programs.
You’ll return with a new perspective.
The next trip is scheduled for Nov 21-29, 2009 (travel days included)
Call to reserve your place today! 303-883-2822.
Begin in charming Antigua with an historical, social and political overview of Guatemala. Travel to Lake Atitlan and tour Maya ruins en route.
Visit the traditional Maya community of Concepcion and get acquainted with our teen reading promoters and our community-based approach to fostering literacy.
Participate with local families in activities central to daily life. Join our reading promoters in a community service project.
Boat across Lake Atitlan to visit a variety of model projects, some of which are beneficiaries of Reading Village. Sightseeing.
Shopping at the market in Chichicastenango, Guatemala’s largest and most colorful indigenous market.
Visit Casa del Libro an urban home-based reading center founded by one of Guatemala’s most innovative literacy champions. Reflect on the journey.
Free day in Antigua for sightseeing in this colonial city declared by the United Nations as a World Heritage City. Group farewell dinner.
Price of the Journey
- $1500 per person
- 50% deposit to be paid 60 days in advance
- Remainder of payment to be made 14 days prior to departure
- Pre-trip briefing packet including background on Guatemala, suggested packing list and logistical information
- Comfortable hotel accommodations in Antigua and Panajachel (price assumes two people per room)
- All breakfasts and lunches
- All ground and lake transportation (airfare is not included)
- All briefings and accompaniment to destinations on the itinerary. Insights from Reading Village founders.
- Donation to Reading Village